Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Elemental?

Now Listening: Silver Jews, "I Remember Me"

On our way to survey some of the project sites Habitat has in Kien Giang Province, in the Mekong Delta, Midori and I passed through Phu Quoc island. Phu Quoc is essentially off the coast of Cambodia, but during one of the many recent convulsive S.E. Asian wars prior to this relative calm, Vietnam laid claim to it. During the Vietnam War, the U.S. kept a prison for suspected V.C. on it; the prison is still in operation.

We saw none of this, because we sat on our asses on the beach for a day and a half. I also took a Lot of photos. I'm trying to set up a Picasa account to post 'em on, but I'm having some technical trouble. So in the mean time, a smattering, and then later (I hope) a link to the rest.

This is Midori (the smiling, non-Vietnamese one) immediately prior to boarding. We arrived at 3:45am for a 5:55am flight; the airport wasn't even open yet. More sleep and less caution next time.

Uhm. Paradise?
Well, sort of...

I like the woven boats,
and this blue.

They're hard to see, but I pulled one of these guys' spines out of my foot after about three minutes in the water.

And, of course, it's monsoon season:





Finally...they are beautiful, these cattle in the sand:
I think I have plenty for a second post. Unless public outcry is overwhelming, I'll post more specific (and interesting?) photos tomorrow (I hope). Also, an overdue respect-is-due...

1 comment:

Totoro said...

Waw, the sky is amazing... I like the photos you took when it was going to rain